Thursday, March 23, 2017

With this sheep, I thee wed

Today was a day of celebration! Manny's youngest sister got married, and I think everyone in town was there at some point. Today was what they call the engagement. It's the traditional wedding ceremony where the groom's family presents the bride's family with gifts. The bride's family has to decide whether the gifts are sufficient before they allow their daughter to be married. It was a very interesting ceremony, mostly conducted in Fante, so I wasn't exactly sure what was happening most of the time. Fortunately, the woman sitting next to me was able to clue me in on most of the presentation. And the groom's family is white and British, so at least I wasn't the only one in the room who had no idea what was being said. 😊.












The most interesting part of the day (for me, anyway) was the arrival of the sacrificial sheep. I was standing on the balcony watching the preparations down below in the yard when a car pulled into the driveway. Two men got out and opened up the trunk...and pulled out a sheep. A live sheep.
Apparently, it is part of the traditional gift to the bride's family. I didn't see it after that, but it may be what I'm eating for dinner tomorrow 😜

So, I just finished writing a fairly long post, but somehow lost everything after the last paragraph. I'm too tired to re-write it, so I will try to add more to this post tomorrow. I'm off to sleep now. I won't be counting sheep, though! Ha!

















No comments:

Post a Comment