Monday, March 27, 2017

Another day to write home about

Another day has come and gone, and I'm still causing quite a scene at school. Today was spent going from class to class and teaching more songs. I also read a couple of books. However, because the teachers in the upper grades were marking essays in preparation for exams next week, there were a lot of children that were just hanging around not in class. Therefore, whenever I was in a classroom, there was a large crowd of children trying to see in the door or through the windows. The teachers had to keep swatting them away! Lol! It was exhausting trying to sing/talk/read over the noise of all those children.

In one of the classrooms, the kids were asking me all kinds of questions about my family and (of all things) my hair! They were curious how I wear it in America. I said sometimes I wear it down or straighten it out. They asked if I wear my own hair (as opposed to a weave), and were shocked to know I "wear" my own hair. One of them reached out to touch it, so I let them feel it. They were surprised at how soft it was. Good thing I didn't tell them I haven't been able to wash it properly in over a week! 😜 That's probably why it feels so soft, though! Ha!

During the morning break, the head teacher took me to the home of one of the supervisors of the school district. I had met this particular woman last Monday when she came to do a site visit at the school. She was showing me pictures of a new day care center she has opened in her home. She wanted me to come and see it, so we did that this morning. It was a nice facility; very bright and clean and airy. There are only a couple children enrolled right now, so it was quiet. One of the babies was frightened of me.  Another one was apprehensive at first, but ended up cuddled in my arms and almost fell asleep on me. She was the sweetest thing. I really enjoyed the visit. Also, the woman gave me lunch to take back to school with me. She gave me steak, mashed potatoes, and veggies--a good "American" meal! It was very thoughtful of her, and I was so touched. And the food was delicious 😋.



The library was a little less chaotic today. Older students were there studying for their exams, so not too much happened there. Helped with some homework (adding fractions, which I haven't done since whenever you learn to add fractions in school!), and helped with some reading lessons. Then it was time to go back home. Another day over!











No comments:

Post a Comment