Sunday, March 26, 2017

Going with the flow

Yesterday was another busy day. It was the wedding ceremony, with the typical reception that we are used to in the States. The wedding was at a hotel in Takoradi, the next town over. The morning was busy for the household as they were doing last minute preparations and receiving visitors. I just tried to stay out of everybody's way. I mostly played with the children, sat out on the balcony watching the activity, and rested. In the afternoon, I got myself ready then waited to be told what to do. One thing that I've noticed (and was warned about), is that there really isn't a urgency to do anything within a set timeframe. They joke that it is "African time", meaning if someone says they'll pick you up in an hour, it could be 2 or even 3 hours later. It's a little annoying for me because I am someone who likes to be on time, if not early. It drives me nuts to be late to an appointment. But, I've been trying to just go with the flow and not get too stressed about it. I'm at the mercy of others here, so it's not useful to stress myself out over it. It's just how it is here. 😀

The wedding was a lot of fun! It was fun to see everyone dressed up, too. There was a lot of good food, freely flowing drinks, and great music. I felt like I was among family; it really was a great evening! I think I surprised people with my moves--they were shocked a white girl could have so much rhythm! Lol! One of the servers stopped me as I was leaving the dance floor to get a drink and asked if he could video tape me dancing! Hahaha! Hope I don't end up as a viral video on YouTube or something! On the other hand, they may have thought I looked like Elaine Bennis when I dance (if you don't know Elaine, search "Elaine Bennis dancing" on YouTube). 🤔

I felt like the wedding was a turning point for me in terms of my comfort level here. Because I've been around for a week, there are a lot more familiar faces. I feel much more at ease and less of a burden or intruder. It's not that I feel/felt like the family saw me as a burden or intruder. Quite the opposite--they've been so hospitable and welcoming. But, it's a lot to have a guest in your home, especially for two weeks. A lot more food, water, etc., to dish out. I am so grateful, but also aware of the extra work that goes into having a guest. However, last night felt like I was among family, and so I'm feeling a lot more at home. Two weeks is definitely a long time to be away from home, but I think it was a good decision to make this trip two weeks. The first week to get acclimated, and this week to really settle in and build relationships. 





















Today was a day to rest and enjoy the sights from the balcony. It was a little less humid today, so it was very pleasant sitting on the balcony feeling the sea breeze. I love the ocean, and being so close to the ocean here is such a blessing. I feel most spiritually connected to God when I'm in nature, but especially when I'm near the ocean. It's easy to forget to just "be" when you are busy with the day-to-day stresses. I try to practice mindfulness, but it's hard to do when there are a zillion things to get done in a day. However, I find that when I'm near the ocean or on the beach, my body relaxes and my mind clears and I can just "be" in that moment and enjoy it. My favorite place to pray is on the beach, especially on a quiet, calm beach. The openness, the sound of the waves, the movement of the sea--they make me feel close to God. So although I did not go to church today (and I feel like I had a pass today because Manny didn't attend, either, and he's a priest!), I attended my own special, private service as I sat on the balcony looking out at the sea.






I ended the afternoon with a walk to the beach to collect shells with Calvin and Joe. Calvin and I were waiting all day for Joe to finish up around the house to take us shell gathering. I think I started a new obsession for Calvin 😀.  Joe finally finished around 5:15, so off we went. Today, we collected a ton more shells, as well as some stones and sea glass, so I told Calvin that later this week, we will spread out all the shells and divide them up between us. My girls are looking forward to getting some shells from Africa, and they won't be disappointed!

Well, now it's time for me to get some sleep. Another busy day at the school and library tomorrow!


1 comment:

  1. Love that you're having time to go with the flow. Enjoy your 2nd week!

    ReplyDelete