Friday, March 31, 2017

It's so hard to say goodbye

I'm sitting in the airport in Takoradi, waiting to board my flight to Accra. I'm thinking about all of the people I'm leaving behind here and how I really don't like goodbyes. I never like saying goodbye, but especially to kids who don't fully understand that I have a life back home that I need to return to. The kids at the school were sad, especially the older ones. They kept asking when they would see me again. I told them that I hope I can come back next year, but they didn't like that answer! Lol! "That's too long!" they said.

At the school, I was presented with two beautiful African dresses and a necklace. It was such a thoughtful gift! I can't wait to wear them proudly once I get home. 😊

It also was hard saying goodbye to the family. I feel like I've been here forever yet not long enough. Of course, I expected that to happen, but it isn't easy anyway. Manny's sister was in from Virginia with her three young children, so I bonded very quickly with the kids. I hated saying goodbye to them, especially. I could hear them crying as the car was pulling away from the house 😢.

As much as I hate saying goodbye, I cannot wait to get home and see my own family. I've been lucky enough to video chat with them most days, so that helped.  But, in the words of Dorothy Gale, "There's no place like home!" And I can't wait to get there!

















No comments:

Post a Comment