Thursday, March 30, 2017

So long, farewell...

Today was my last full day at the school, and my last day at the library. I spent the day at school visiting the kindergarten classrooms and taking pictures of each class and teachers with my instant camera. This camera was a huge hit, as I expected it would be. It was quite a feat getting each of the classes organized into a group, though! The rooms are hot, small, and crowded; throw in the fact that  the kids still are extremely excited anytime I walk into their classroom, and you have a situation that most teachers would run from. However, all the teachers were so calm and gracious. I was happy I could leave them with a very small parting gift (though most of them wanted my camera instead, ha!).

Speaking of asking for what you want, one thing I noticed about Ghanaians is that they are very direct, and they are not timid or shy about asking for things. They will say, "I like your dress. Give it to me," though not in an intimidating way. Most of the time, I laugh and say something like, "This is the only dress I brought!" That's usually enough to let them know I don't tend to give it to them and they won't ask again. But, today I brought bracelets--that I packed to wear for the wedding--to the school to give away to the lunch ladies at the school. They would have fun asking me for things everyday or asked by me to take them back to America with me! Lol! They were so sweet and fun, so I was happy to be able to give them each one of my bracelets.

One of the teachers told me last week that she wanted to sew me a dress, so she took my measurements. Today she presented me with the dress she made--it was perfect and gorgeous! I changed into it right away (then asked if she would like the skirt and shirt I was wearing, which she did, so I gave them to her)! When I walked back out of the classroom in my new African dress, all the teachers and students were excited to see me dressed like them 😊. It was such a great day! What an honor to be given such a beautiful dress!




Today was my last day at the library. The older girls waited around to get pictures taken with me.  They also asked for stuff! Lol! So, I gave them the gum I had left in my purse and some note cards (Side note: gum is a hot commodity, apparently. That's the thing the kids, especially the older ones, are most excited to receive. I told Manny's nieces and nephews that next time I come, I will pack a suitcase full of gum!) We also tested out the librarian's ability to video call me through WhatsApp so that the girls can call me when they are there. I like forward to those calls 😊.




Tomorrow I will go to the school one last time in the morning. The head teacher said they have prepared a presentation for me, so I will go there for that. I will be flying back to Accra tomorrow evening, so will spend the late morning and afternoon with Manny's niece Portia, who will take me to the market to buy some things to bring home. Then it's home I go on Saturday! It's a bittersweet farewell. I am definitely ready to go home, but feel like I have so much more to do here. But, I know this is not the end. I feel like I'm just getting started! 😀

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing journey you've had! I can't wait to see you in your new dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a truly life changing experience. Safe trip home! Can't wait to have you back and hear about everything in more detail! Love you sis!

    ReplyDelete